We are incredibly proud of everything we’ve achieved in the past twenty years. It would be impossible to detail all of our successes in fighting for justice and saving lives, but here are some of the highlights:
- We have saved the lives of more than 550 people who were facing death sentences around the world. And the knock-on effect of our strategic interventions limiting the use of the death penalty means thousands more have been saved;
- We have secured the freedom of 80 men illegally detained without charge or trial at Guantánamo Bay – more than any other organisation or law firm;
- Our Life after Guantánamo project has supported over 100 former Guantánamo detainees and their families. It is the only programme of its kind dedicated to rebuilding the lives of former Guantánamo detainees;
- There has been a 52% decrease in executions in the US since we began our work to prevent the misuse of medicines in lethal injection executions;
- We put the issues surrounding weaponised drones on the map, amplifying the voices of over 100 people affected by off-battlefield drone strikes, helping them tell their stories and fight for justice;
- By the end of 2021, 170 prisoners sentenced to death in Malawi had received a new sentence hearing. None were re-sentenced to death. 143 have been released.
I was regularly tortured. I lost all my freedom, dignity and was starting to lose hope. Reprieve went above and beyond in the fight for my release. I would not be free without Reprieve.Andy Tsege, former Reprieve client